Ember data + django custom client or server

Hi @cresg820, This came up recently on this thread and I offered some counter points to Dustin’s position. The only major point in favour of client side adapter is that you can support sideloading which for some data models can be really powerful.

The Ember adapter feels a bit more pluggable, but if you are experienced with DRF you might find (as I do) that doing the adapting on the DRF side is a lot more robust. My adapter project Dustin linked to is a more of a collection of modifications for DRF that all together make it work more or less out of the box with Ember.

On another note, I am just starting repo that I hope to one day use to show a basic django/ember app using my adapter (link). So far there is nothing in it but a project skeleton. I’m hoping to get some time soon to add some models and make a simple crud on the ember app.

@dustinfarris would be interesting if we could coordinate on a structure for a simple app (I was thinking something to do with cars) to demonstrate Ember/Django functionality and show what client adapter looks like vs. server adapter. Unfortunately my bandwidth is super limited right now but I think the django/ember community could really use a good example project with a solid explanatory blog post.