How do we beat AngularJS in the developers mindset?

<offtopic>
well i know your comment is not up2date but i’d like to mention this anyways
as much as i love the fact devs do not have to care about IE8 due to compatibility layers nowdays…
did you know IE < 11 got deprecated by microsoft in a clear statement where they even dropped security support? microsoft.com/…/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support

(just wanted to mention this here)
</offtopic>

NuGet works for most, and VS2015 adds support for Grunt, Gulp, Bower, npm…

Let’s start by promoting it in the bootcamps that are booming all over the place. I just graduated from one and nobody ever even mentioned Ember.

2 Likes

There was a hackathon last year here in Wellington, and I just had a half hour session about Ember.js, I saw that so many people would be interested. After that, I started a free workshop, where I teach beginners and experienced developers about Ember.js, every week. We build applications together. This initiative helped me to build www.yoember.com :slight_smile:

Almost a year later, I see, that more and more company start using Ember.js here in New Zealand and Wellington, and they can hire developers with Ember.js experience, thanks for the free workshop.

I would suggest, if you would like to be an “evangelist” of Ember.js, don’t hesitate, just start it and you will see, the community will grow so quickly around you. :slight_smile:

Hey @zoltan, another NZ-based dev here, recently got into Ember for our updated mobile web app and really enjoying it. I’m based near Christchurch so if you get anyone down this way who wants to chat feel free to point them my way - rpoole [at] gmail [dot] com and I’d be happy to help.

@ricky1981 Ah brilliant. I’m glad you like it. :slight_smile: I’ve been in Chch two weeks ago and I had a workshop on Chch.js meetup. Login to Meetup | Meetup You can find me on the global Ember Community Slack Channel, or on JavascriptNewZealand channel as zoltan.

In reference to your documentation comment, that’s assuming that there is usable documentation available for the problem you’re trying to solve. You have my sincere pity if it’s something esoteric, you’ll likely be blazing a new trail. I’ve been working on an Ember project at my job for almost nine months. It’s getting easier, but that being said I won’t call it easy very often if ever.

I read a piece the other day about a developer who chose Ember for an ambitious project. He said what everyone says, that Ember has a steep learning curve. He also said something else that was very perceptive. He also referred to a “learning gap”, meaning that many aspects of the framework offer no extra help. No current StackOverflow (current meaning since 2013), nothing more than a stub of documentation, nada… A learning curve is continuous, even if steep, and can eventually be completed. A gap means you might be on your own…

1 Like

Hi Drew, I hope you find the responses to your critique illuminating. For the Ember priesthood complaints against Ember are rarely acceptable. Just read through the “Why I’m Leaving Ember” thread that they gnashed their teeth on until the post was closed.

No matter the very carefully presented and attributed complaints, there seemed to be a disappointing lack of many Ember faithful to admit or often even consider that it has (glaring?) issues. Most of the issues for me are stale, missing or spotty documentation. I think that many people that are good at Ember are either in that slim minority that picked it up effortlessly, or they are forgetful or insincere in admitting that they probably had the same problems.

So yeah, this IS super snarky, but this is from what I’ve learned from almost a year of having to use Ember and lurking this site.

$0.02

1 Like

I think bootcamps would have a hard time teaching ember in a short period of time, thats why they teach angular because its less complex. Ember is by far more beneficial though, a junior developer could contribute code day one because of the conventions which angular lacks.

Actually, I launched an Ember.js bootcamp in Wellington more than a year ago, and because you can build a simple chat app with Ember.js around 30 minutes, people are really keen to learn more about this framework… so I just organized weekly free workshops, and we built an app together… The transcript of this course became www.yoember.com which is a quite popular Ember tutorial nowadays for beginners.

Thanks for this activity, you can find a good bunch of Ember.js developer here in Wellington, New Zealand. Government projects, Startups, big Banks started to migrate to Ember.js also.

So I think, the education and showing how quickly you can work with this framework is one the most important key to build a larger community around Ember.

1 Like
  1. Forget about Angular. It’s just the new JS default for web developers turned front-end engineers, just as PHP once was the default programming language for web designers turned developers. It’s not competition so don’t fight it.
  2. Watch Addy Osmani’s recent talk and create an Ember-based progressive webapp according to the criteria on hnpwa.com. That will grab a lot of eyeballs and gain mindshare for Ember.
  3. Everywhere you see hype about React (the new default), mention Ember with links to good PWAs - because that’s where the eyeballs are right now.
  4. Remind people that hitching your wagon to large corporations running JS frameworks isn’t a good thing at all (Angular => Angular2 pain, anyone?) because Google and Facebook will ultimately call the shots, over and above the community, the way it suits them.
  5. Make friends with the Evan You of Vue and learn how an indy framework got to be at the top.
  6. Bang on about making fast-loading lightweight PWAs with Ember and get articles on Medium about it.
  7. Bang on about Discourse. I mean, this is HUGE! And users have no idea it’s made with Ember.
  8. Jump on StackOverflow to answer Ember questions, they’re still pouring in, even today… :wink:
  9. Address the documentation issues that people keep mentioning.

That’s my immediate response, having taught 85 students last year, all new to JavaScript, without pushing them in any direction except to make up their own minds and not follow the herd. But with most of them very susceptible to being swayed by the herd.

BTW here’s the Ember app we’ve been working on for over 3 years (without aahhh updating Ember that much!): switchoff.nus.org.uk.

5 Likes

Why is there a need to “beat out” Angular? Or for that matter, any other so-called framework? There are so many out there to choose from. Just be happy that Ember is around. If you prefer this masterful framework and it fits your needs, just use it and be thankful. That’s all I wanted to say, simple.