Are developers creating Ember apps outside the context of Rails?

Cool!

I’m really new to Ember (and JS frameworks to be sincere), but these days I’m also starting a project using ASP.NET API as backend. While testing Ember.js I wrote some server-side JSON helpers so I can match the Ember’s REST adapter’s naming conventions.

I’m prototyping an internal app at my company using Ember with Java and Spring. It’s not sexy but it’s a chance to use Ember :slight_smile:

If you’re using .NET backend with the Web API, you might want to check this template.It already comes with WebAPISerializer and WebAPIAdapter so you simply plug it into your app and you don’t have to change what you do on your backend. My sample uses this template.

1 Like

Hey @splattne, this is another VS template for Ember.js by the same guy who keeps a NuGet package for Ember.js. This uses the MVC4 template, not Web API template and it doesn’t use Ember-Data, but it precompiles Handlebars templates during build using this library

1 Like

Hi @michaeltsmith,

Do you have any recommendations for someone starting out with ember development on mobile devices?

Awesome, thank you very much for the links! I’ll share my experience with the templates as soon as I get some. :slight_smile:

Working with a .NET (and hopefully at some point Mono) backend, using Servicestack. We have started using the .NET Web API, but to be more open and because of possible performance increases (if you can trust the speed comparison that is) we are migrating to Servicestack.

If you want something open sourced for a change, you may look at Travis CI, we’re using JSON API running on Sinatra with CORS (cross site ajax requests), the code based on newest ember is on the ps-ember-update branch.

Incidentally I wrote a post today (not yet published) about the upsides of client and API isolation, you may take a look at the post itself here: https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci.github.com/blob/fa170749daaaf223e2f3e51539224218327cdba5/blog/_posts/2013-03-13-client-api-isolation.md (the output is a bit messed up because of jekyll header, but the text itself is ok).

update: the post is now live: The Travis CI Blog: Client and API isolation

1 Like

It might be worth noting here Ember Brunch

1 Like

He’s stopped supporting that project. At least, he’s no longer using Ember.js.

I’m starting an app using Scala and Play Framework with Ember.js.

What is the point, @Babeard?

It was a simple misunderstanding. I thought he was eluding that you had to consolidate all of the JS files into one file in order for ember to work properly or maybe it was a best practice to do so. I was just asking why anyone would be required to consolidate their code into one file. Wouldn’t that break the concept of how MVC works organizationally speaking? Isn’t that a bit spaghetti?

However, it was pointed out by @jergason that what he really meant was that Symfony2 didn’t have a great Rails “gem” equivalent. Atleast that is what I took from it.

Actually Symfony2 can handle it fine, if you understand the voodoo. However if you think about it, if you were to write an Ember app without any backend language (HTML/JS only) you have to deliver your javascript and templates to the browser. This gets difficult without SSI, and lots of script tag includes.

There is a reason most tutorials use one HTML file, and one JS file to teach Ember.

On mytripset.com, a french travel planner for the europe. We use Ember.JS with a backend developped in Groovy with the Grails framework.

Like @toranb my company is using Ember on top of Django 1.5 and Django-Rest-Framework. We’ve encountered a few minor issues with the communication which were solved thanks to Toran’s Ember.Data Django Rest adapter

Right now we’re doing all of our concatenation via CodeKit but I suspect we’ll end up moving to a more automated way of doing things once we get closer to beta launch.

You should consider open sourcing the resulting Ember adapter so that other’s can benefit from it.

I’m working on an app for a client that uses a Java backend with a Node based proxy.

At work we’re building a reporting front-end that uses Ember to display data pulled from a couple back-end APIs. We’re using Middleman, a Ruby static site generator to build static assets, along with Sprockets for packaging. We also have a custom adapter because our reporting API returns completely denormalized data with no ids, and only one record per request.

I’ve written a couple Ember sample apps on CodePen (http://codepen.io/collection/saefy) and I’ve been playing with Grunt recently to compile templates and package JS into one file.

I made a basic Grunt-Ember boilerplate set up for myself that will do all the template and JS bundling + CommonJS modules which makes working with Ember backend agnostic. Check it out as an example Grunt project. GitHub - haywoood/grunt-ember-boilerplate: This is a Grunt.js 0.4x starter project that gives you everything you need to start developing Ember.js applications.

4 Likes