Compile ember data

Hello everyone!

I’m completely new to emberjs. When I started reading about models in guides I realized that I need to compile ember-data by myself. Okay, went to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14160898/compiling-ember-data, tried:

git clone git://github.com/emberjs/data.git - OK

cd data - OK

bundle install - there I got an error:

Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rb 

/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in require': cannot load such file -- mkmf (LoadError) from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’ from extconf.rb:1:in `’

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/posix-spawn-0.3.6 for inspection. Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/posix-spawn-0.3.6/ext/gem_make.out

An error occurred while installing posix-spawn (0.3.6), and Bundler cannot continue. Make sure that gem install posix-spawn -v '0.3.6' succeeds before bundling.

Then I tried: `gem install posix-spawn -v ‘0.3.6’ and got this:

Building native extensions. This could take a while… ERROR: Error installing posix-spawn: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/bin/ruby1.9.1 extconf.rb

/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in require': cannot load such file -- mkmf (LoadError) from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:inrequire’ from extconf.rb:1:in `’

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/posix-spawn-0.3.6 for inspection. Results logged to /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/posix-spawn-0.3.6/ext/gem_make.out

I’ve never worked with ruby. Seems a little bit complicated, what should I do to get the last ember-data.js?

Thanks in advance

You have to have Ruby 1.9.2+ as per the readme https://github.com/emberjs/data/blob/master/README.md#setup

Hmm, ruby -v shows:

ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [i686-linux]

But the above shows that it is finding and using 1.9.1… Probably your env needs to be updated to point to 1.9.3

It looks like you’re not using rvm. Unless you have some particular reason for avoiding it, I would recommend switching to rvm: it will likely save you the headache of trying to figure out why your environment seems to be pointing to the wrong ruby.

I ran into a similar problem (in my case, I didn’t have bundle), but I would like to ask a slightly higher-level question:

Why do we all need to compile ember-data in the first place?

It would make it way easier for me, as a new (potential?) Ember user, to be able to just download ember-data.js from somewhere. I totally understand ember-data is under development, and to that end, I would be more than happy to git clone a repo, and either copy or create a symlink to a file within it, but making me install ruby, bundle, various gems, etc… just to link to a javascript file seems a little heavy weight.

If something like http://cloud.github.com/downloads/emberjs/data/ember-data-latest.js was kept up to date (and I’m not asking for a per-commit update here. Maybe just when the revision number changes?), that would be awesome. In the meantime, until someone can tell me why it’s a terrible idea, I’m using the copy from https://raw.github.com/toranb/ember-django-rest/master/ember/static/script/vendor/ember-data.js.

Thanks!

Okay, I’ll try to compile it at my work once again paying special attention to ruby version. But now I tried to use bwinton’s link, and it seems it’s not going to be easy :slight_smile: This is my head section:

<script src="jquery-1.9.1.min.js"></script>
<script src="handlebars.js"></script>
<script src="ember-1.0.0-rc.1.js"></script>
<script src="ember-data.js"></script>
<!--<script src="application.js"></script>-->

I commented application.js so as I’m sure I don’t have any mistakes in my app. And I get: Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method ‘readOnly’, line 3535

@Vict0r the issue is because you are using older version ember.js. Try using ember rc2.