Ember.js - Octane is Here

Ember 3.15 is Octane! Curious what Octane means for web development? This blog post will get you oriented.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://emberjs.com/blog/2019/12/20/octane-is-here.html
3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed blog post, it will be really helpful for anyone who wants to start with Octane. I have a small concern. In the Glimmer components section, for the after example, we are just showing how the template will look like and in the before example, we are showing the component.js , even though the properties @isEnabled and @isActive are coming from the component I think we should also include the component.js in the after example. Otherwise this gives an impression that we don’t need component.js in Octane for new developers or someone starting with Ember.js

In that specific example, you don’t need a backing class! (The guides cover when you do and don’t in detail, so I think it’s fine not to get into the nitty-gritty here.)

2 Likes

Chris is right. The example (working version) doesn’t need a JS class. In fact, even the before part could be done without JS. I guess the example shows how convenient and apparent (official) it is using Octane.

Nice work!

Honestly, I didn’t like the classic version when I tried to use Ember for the first time. But now I like so much the Octane and I will try again!

Thanks!

Hey there great work with the new version of Octane. I had a question, however, about the future of ember. The 2020 Roadmap which seems very important isn’t even on the website but can be found by a Google search. This obviously doesn’t do good for folks wanting to check the website and see where ember is going. The suggestions of simplification and modernization is great. Some other links like Performance on the website start on 2013. Surely someone should be updating the website so it looks up to date.

Also, tree shaking would be a great addition to focus on in ember as well as as much support as possible for ES6 like features integrated into the platform.

Thanks!

2 Likes