Expected Error format of API response

I’m not able to send the API errors in a format that Ember/EmberData (both v3.22.0) and is able to consume for model errors to display them in templates. I’m using RESTAdapter and RESTSerializer.

My product model looks like this:

export default class ProductModel extends Model {
  @attr('string') name;
}

The expected default format is explained in the Documentation:

What I understand reading this, is:

// api response
{
  errors: [
    {
      'attribute': 'name',
      'message': 'This field cannot be blank.'
    }
  ]
}

But I also tried many other formats. To see if the errors get properly processed by Ember, I console.log them in the catch block like this but still empty.

@action async save(product) {
    try {
      await product.save();
    } catch(res) {
      console.log('errors', product.get('errors')); // []
    }
  }

Hope someone could help me with that! :pray:t2:

IIRC the best way to handle this sort of situation is overriding extractErrors in your Ember serializer. Per the docs for that method I think it (RESTSerializer just inherits this method from JSONSerializer) expects the errors array to be in JSON API format (though I do find it curious that JSONSerializer/RESTSerializer don’t do any formatting from other types, maybe there just aren’t enough conventions around that to adopt one).

So i think your options would be either match the JSON:API error format on your backend (example below) or use whatever format is easiest from your API and convert the error format in your serializer with extractErrors.

{
  "errors": [
    {
      "detail": "This username is already taken!",
      "source": {
        "pointer": "data/attributes/username"
      }
    }, {
      "detail": "Doesn't look like a valid email.",
      "source": {
        "pointer": "data/attributes/email"
      }
    }
  ]
}

Thank you for your quick reply! I wanted to avoid custom implementation in favour of basic functionality that should work out of the box, so I kept on trying and found the solution: First: The Backend was sending status code of 400, but Ember is expecting a 422 (unprocessable unit) in order to create an error of type InvalidError, so that it will be considered as model errors. Second: I had to send the errors from the Backend in the format you were also suggesting even though, according to the docs I understood that there should only be these two keys per error (attributeand message).

Anyway - Thanks for your help and have a good start into the new year! :tada:

1 Like