How to handle Lazy Authentication

We are working on an app with lazy auth - for example we have a comment form where a user can type a comment. If they aren’t logged in, when they click “submit” they are prompted to sign in. I have already implemented ember-auth and have sign in working, but we are trying to figure out the best way to handle completing the original action after a successful sign in.

Ideally I think we’d like sign in and sign up actions in their own routes, and although we could create an action on the application router that supports a callback method as an argument (could also be wired up as a promise, which I’ll probably do), I’m not sure how to handle routing back to the current route automatically. For example:

App.PostRoute = Ember.Route.extend
  actions:
    createComment: ->
      @send "requireAuth", =>

App.ApplicationRoute = Ember.Route.extend
  actions:
    requireAuth: (callback) ->
       # 1. store the current route some how
       # 2. add an observer to transition back to current route 
       #    and fire the callback upon sign in
       # 3. transition to signIn Route

There are plenty of examples for protecting a route (ember-auth even has it built in), but I can’t seem to find any best-practice examples for just protecting a route action. I have thought about going in a direction where we don’t have actual signIn/signUp routes, and just have a top level route action that renders the views into the application outlet, and then upon sign in re-calling renderTemplate on the current route, that just seems kind of hacky imo.

Any ideas?