Issues upgrading from 2.13 to 3.1


#1

I’m getting two errors when upgrading to the latest version. The error message for the first is below. It gives an error when calling this.get('features'). features is the ember-feature-flags addon. The suggestion from the error is to use a .get which is already being used in the code.

The second comes from accessing controllers. When using ember inspecter, I can see that the application controller is registered.

Thanks in advance!


#2

This is an example of the error message in the second instance


#3

It looks like the Ember container’s own probing for _onLookup is triggering the assertion. Seems like a possible Ember bug to me, please file an issue.


#4

This sounds very similar to what was reported in https://github.com/emberjs/ember.js/issues/16263 and fixed by https://github.com/emberjs/ember.js/pull/16274.

I’m not sure why the _onLookup probing didn’t fail those tests…


#5

It looks like the second error is related to: https://github.com/emberjs/ember.js/issues/15527 Creating an application.js controller has solved it


#6

There is a recently reported issue in Ember regarding _onLookup triggering the proxy assertion when used within an engine. Might be the same as what you were seeing on upgrade.

Would you mind reviewing and chiming in?


#7

I was using ember-feature-flags within an engine and got this error:


#8

I took a screen shot of where I located the exception here: screen shot 2018-04-30 at 8 22 19 pm

Based on the above info I think ember engines is not compatible with Ember 3.1


#9

I solved the second issue by creating a new component for the missing controller. It looks like something changes between 2.13 and 2.14 where controllers can no longer be implied off the route. That is, I had a route with a model and then I tried to reference the model through an implied controller. The controller needed to be explicitly defined.


#10

We have been working on updating to 3x for a while now. I highly recommend incrementing to 3x bumping ember-cli, ember-data, and ember-source to successive latest minor versions of 2.x. We have found that minor bugs can be solved incrementally this way without so much trouble finding where the problem is.