So basically the code looks like this:

{{#link-to 'address.comment' address comment}}
  {{title}}
{{/link-to}}

And the relevant routes:

this.resource('address', { path: 'address/:id' }, function () {
  this.route('comment', { path: 'comments/:id' });
});

Now both have an id property, and without over-riding the serialize method for both routes, I get the following url:

addresses/7/comments/7

When address.id is 588 and comment.id is 7. Now If I over-ride the comment serialize route, and not return anything, I get this:

addresses/588/comments/588

No scenario works out correctly, but the funny thing is that when I over-ride both serialize methods, the results for both are correct when stepping through during link building time… Any ideas?

So after talking to @alexspeller on IRC, I now realize that I’ve been using :id, when I should be using :address_id and :comment_id. The model and serialize hooks both expect that format. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks Alex!

But what if the two models are of the same type? As from and to for example. Or in my case parent and child in a hierarchical relation.

I think there is no other option than to adjust one route to have a custom serialize and parameter name?

Assuming you’re having the same problem that @knownasilya was having I think you’d just use :parent_id and :child_id or :from_id and :to_id. The problem above was just that the dynamic segment params were the same (:id) so they would ‘overwrite’ each other if the router was trying to use both at the same time.

Ah, yes. Thank you. I didn’t realize that the _id was the only important part. I thought the mapping was based on the typename.

Both parts are important AFAIK, the first is the model and the second the attribute on the model. So if you want automatic model hook lookup, it makes a difference and you cannot use the same model&attribute twice in a nested route with that method. Personally I try to avoid that auto-lookup, and use camelCased param identifiers, e.g. /users/:userId which gives you the benefit of staying consistent in code:

model({ userId }) {
  return this.store.findRecord('user', userId);
}

The reason I avoid the auto-lookup, is because usually, I end up adding something to the lookup anyway, so I’d have to overwrite it anyway.