Switching between representations of one model

I’m trying to figure out the most idiomatic way to tab between multiple representations of the same model (or more specifically, an array of models).

I know that one option is to use actions on the controller or route that filter the array. However, I think it’s also desirable to have a route for each representation.

Here’s a specific example: I have a Board route and model, and each Board has many Stories. Those Stories can be filtered by ‘all’, ‘new’, and ‘top.’ One solution is to have one route /boards/:board_id, and to have each tab trigger a controller action that does the filtering. In this case, the Board route needs the stories/index controller, and is responsible for setting up the stories/index controller and rendering the stories/index template into an outlet in the board.index template.

Another solution is to have routes /boards/:board_id/top, /boards/:board_id/new, and /boards/:board_id/all. In this case, what’s the best way to manage relationships between the controllers? Especially considering that, in each case, the Stories are just a filtered representation of the board.stories relationship?

Note also that I’m purposely avoiding embedding a Stories resource in the Board resource (resulting in routes like /board/:board_id/stories/*).