Android javascript performance in web views

I know that android phones have been shown to have very poor javascript performance, but what about dropping an ember app in a web view and adding it to the app store. Does this have any difference in performance over running it in a browser?

I’ve wondered this as I’ve been developing my first real word app for my company and seeing the woes of android and how bad performance wise it is, is this any different if I used something like phone-gap or cordova to build an app I can install on an android device via a sideload if this will be more performant than it’s browser based counterpart or if it’s the same.

1 Like

https://crosswalk-project.org/ apparently gives some performance boost.

No, there will be no performance improvement. Why would there be?

Just wondered if it used a different rendering engine potentially.

It does use a different rendering engine, or to be more precise, a different version of the rendering engine. The browser will use the latest auto-updated version, where webview will use a burned-in version. However, there is no fundamental difference in performance.

It does use a different rendering engine, or to be more precise, a different version of the rendering engine. The browser will use the latest auto-updated version, where webview will use a burned-in version. However, there is no fundamental difference in performance.

this is completely wrong. Android WebView is much, much slower on almost all metrics than ChromeView.