Diagnosing CLI build issues

Lately I’ve been running into a brick-wall at full speed trying to build a project with latest cli/node/ember versions. [0.2.0-beta-1, 0.1.2, 0.10.0]

Here’s a stack trace!

Build failed.
{
  "status": 3,
  "message": "unordered_map::at: key not found"
} [string exception]
Error: {
  "status": 3,
  "message": "unordered_map::at: key not found"
} [string exception]
  at /Users/alex/Rebase/impulse-ember/node_modules/ember-cli/node_modules/broccoli/lib/builder.js:35:15
  at $$$internal$$tryCatch (/Users/alex/Rebase/impulse-ember/node_modules/ember-cli/node_modules/rsvp/dist/rsvp.js:490:16)
  at $$$internal$$invokeCallback (/Users/alex/Rebase/impulse-ember/node_modules/ember-cli/node_modules/rsvp/dist/rsvp.js:502:17)
  at $$$internal$$publish (/Users/alex/Rebase/impulse-ember/node_modules/ember-cli/node_modules/rsvp/dist/rsvp.js:473:11)
  at $$$internal$$publishRejection (/Users/alex/Rebase/impulse-ember/node_modules/ember-cli/node_modules/rsvp/dist/rsvp.js:416:7)
  at $$rsvp$asap$$flush (/Users/alex/Rebase/impulse-ember/node_modules/ember-cli/node_modules/rsvp/dist/rsvp.js:1581:9)
  at process._tickCallback (node.js:355:11)

Any insight into this particular error and how we can go about troubleshooting these command line errors would be greatly appreciated.

This is happening on osx and linux.

You have probably already done this but on the off chance you haven’t.

If you upgraded your ember-cli rather than fresh install they changed a lot of stuff. I had to run ember init again and look at all the diffs and merge https://github.com/ember-cli/ember-cli/releases. I had really odd behavior prior to that.

I’m seeing the same thing, and have tracked it down to what looks like a libsass problem (at least in my case). See here

guys, after some digging, @novagust is right, it’s a node-sass issue, that usually goes away when you run npm rebuild node-sass.

While this addresses the specific issue at hand, I guess the question is more about strategies you can use to diagnose these issues as it seems that the command-line is currently a black box where we can’t use the usual breakpoints and other techniques that are available in-browser.

So far it looks like searching for the particular error online is just about the only recourse…