Fastboot and embroider build failures

I’ve got a new Ember app (3.26) that was running nicely with Fastboot enabled. I just added Embroider and now I am getting the following build error whenever I serve:

Error: An incompatible version between 'ember-cli-fastboot' and 'fastboot' was found. Please update the version of fastboot library that is compatible with ember-cli-fastboot.

I can see that ‘ember-cli-fastboot@2.2.3’ depends on ‘fastboot@2.0.3’. I have tried adding fastboot to my package.json, but the error is persisting.

As soon as I revert back to the classic build approach, the error disappears.

Has anyone else encountered this?

You need a version of ember-cli-fastboot that depends on fastboot >= 3.1.

I think there are only beta releases of ember-cli-fastboot that have that.

Or you can use something like yarn resolutions to force the upgrade, and that will work. That’s how embroider’s own test suite covers fastboot:

Perfect, thank you for your help!

Thanks @ef4 but I’ve come back to this and I am still unable to get Fastboot and Embroider to play well. I’ve gone back to basics and:

• Setup a brand new, vanilla Ember 3.27 project;
  • Installed fastboot@3.2.0-beta.2 (following the Ember Real World example);
  • Served the app to ensure it’s working, which it is;
  • Enabled Embroider, as per the GitHub docs; and
  • Served the app, which no longer works.

Using http://localhost:4200/?fastboot=false gets me into the console and I can see that the issue relates to Ember Data:

[Error] TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating '_ember_data_store__WEBPACK_IMPORTED_MODULE_0__.default.prototype')
	Eval Code (setup.js:20)
	eval
	./node_modules/@ember-data/debug/setup.js (chunk.f27422fdde9dcf727521.js:160)
	__webpack_require__ (chunk.b6bb8832290a7beff48c.js:31)
	Eval Code (ember-data-data-adapter.js:5:114)
	eval
	./initializers/ember-data-data-adapter.js (chunk.07c688fc51be590ad475.js:194)
	__webpack_require__ (chunk.b6bb8832290a7beff48c.js:31)

Is there a step I am missing with regards to making Ember Data compatible with Embroider?

You are probably hitting Issue with @ember-data/debug/setup.js · Issue #826 · embroider-build/embroider · GitHub

You can downgrade ember-data to 3.26 or if you’re feeling adventurous, try running the not-yet-merged PR that fixes it.