Getting Started Guide and Deprecation Warnings

I am running through the getting started guide just to get my feet wet with Ember.js when I ran into some odd warnings on step 8.

My stack:

DEBUG: -------------------------------
DEBUG: Ember.VERSION : 1.0.0-rc.5
DEBUG: Handlebars.VERSION : 1.0.0-rc.4
DEBUG: jQuery.VERSION : 1.9.1
DEBUG: -------------------------------

The culprit code (I think):

Todos.TodosRoute = Ember.Route.extend({
  model: function () {
    return Todos.Todo.find();
  }
});

And the warning: DEPRECATION: Ember.metaPath is deprecated and will be removed from future releases.

I guess my warning is that I personally don’t think it’s a great idea to have a quick-start guide throwing warnings in a new user’s face. Sorry if this is a little off-base

Thanks, Taylor

1 Like

Yeah, a deprecation warning was added to Ember.js for code that Ember Data is still using. I agree that it’s disconcerting for new users.

If anyone wants to get a PR in for this, that would be much appreciated!

Really just gave me a headache trying to figure out what I was possibly doing wrong.

The other concern that I have is that by following the links in the dependency step, Ember.js will not actually work. The rc5 on the Ember home page requires Handlebars 1.0.0rc4, which was near impossible to find until I downloaded the starter kit.

1 Like

So any idea how to get past those problems? i am trying to follow the guide to better understand ember and yet those nasty errors are preventing me from doing so, can someone update the guide or at least provide a work around for people who came from google like i did?

Unfortunately, Handlebars 1.0 was released at almost exactly the same time as RC5. Since the releases were not coordinated we just missed getting the new Handlebars into RC5. We’re working on improving this process to avoid such issues in the future. Sorry again!