How about Mentoring?

How about masters of Ember, mentor the beginners. The proposal here is…

People who want to learn Ember are confused in lot of ways, they will apply here with a plan or proposal of a project. One or Many Ember experts can opt to mentor/guide him/her. Given that the person learning will help out either by creating a blog/video/… of his/her learning curve or train others based on gained knowledge?

Thoughts?

7 Likes

This is something I’ve been thinking about recently and am interested in doing. Anyone who is interested in some Ember.js mentoring should feel free to reach out to me at erik@erikbryn.com.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t consider myself a master, but I’ve got a few ember projects under the belt, so if you need help with your project, email me at jakub@sensible.io

I can help you with code review, or even if you just want to chat about Ember drop me an email :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I had a related idea yesterday. What I would find extremely helpful is Ember Code Reviews. I don’t mind struggling with a new framework, in fact I find it the best way to learn. However with Ember being so new its hard to get feedback on what I’m doing right or wrong since I’m the only one I know actually using Ember.

Would anyone be interested? I don’t necessarily need a master, but having someone with a bit more experience using Ember peruse my code will probably provide valuable insights.

So I’ll throw it out there:

https://github.com/raytiley/RealTimeScheduler

This is the project I first tried Ember out on. Its an assignment for a Real Time Scheduling class that does generates a simple processor schedule. I have it hosted here:

http://raytiley-msse-static-scheduler.herokuapp.com/

What I imagine is someone forking the repo, and just adding whatever notes / comments they have time for, and then issuing a pull request so I can review and have a conversation about.

Keep in mind the above project took a lot of shortcuts, mostly because the assignment was to write the scheduling code, not wrap it in a web app :slight_smile:

I’d be interested in code reviews as well. Perhaps we can start a new thread to discuss that so those interested in mentoring can continue talking about that here?

I consider code reviews as part of the mentoring process. If people wanted me to just do code reviews, I would be willing to help in that way. Get in touch: erik@erikbryn.com.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea!

sent you a mentoring email. did you get it from Richard Moss ? thanks

Erik,

It’s really great on your part to be willing to help in this way! Expect an email from me too :smile:

This is a really great idea. As someone who is just starting out with ember it would be great to be able to get guidance and suggestions from someone.

I think code reviews would be very helpful. Another thought though is creating a very accessible archive of example projects or the result of learning curve. I like the idea of tit for tat of the newbie providing blogpost or screencast that documents their learning curve.

I think it would be very helpful to have a collection of these “projects” posted somewhere, perhaps even a running thread on this forum.

Also, speaking as an ember js newbie myself what I would find useful is step by step walk throughs.

This could take a couple forms:

• hosted git repo with labeled branches: step 1, step 2, step 3… final, etc
  • A series of versioned jsbin examples that walk through the concepts.

Being able to follow the learning process is helpful.

1 Like