How are you upgrading the needs array?

We’re upgrading to EmberCLI and I just ran into a problem with the needs array. We have a controller in app/controllers/folders/commands.coffee that we require in a number of other controllers. Currently, the needs array uses dots:

needs: ['folders.commands']

But, EmberCLI needs a slash to find the controller:

needs: ['folders/commands']

The solution I’ve come up with so far is to add the following sed command to our migration script:

sed --regexp-extended --in-place '/needs:/s/\./\//' $new_path

where $new_path is the name of the file in the ember-cli repo.

This is the first “show stopper” where I’ve hit a real conflict between Ember and EmberCLI. For just about every other case, I’ve been able to find a syntax that works in both. Anyway, I was just interested to see how other people were dealing with needs.

Thanks!

Slashes is the appropriate solution here. However, I would move away from using needs if you’re going through the upgrade path now. The alternative, and preferred way going forward, is to use Ember.inject.controller

http://emberjs.com/api/classes/Ember.inject.html#method_controller

Slashes will still be needed.

We’ll start using services after the upgrade but during this work I need to find a solution that supports both ember and ember-cli. It’s a pretty big challenge upgrading 180k lines of code without stopping the rest of the team from adding features, fixing bugs, etc… So, I really can’t start any sort of refactor until the upgrade is done.

Ember.inject.controller not Ember.inject.service