Readers' Questions: "How can I become a writer for The Ember Times in the future?"

Hi, everyone. It has been some time since we, at The Ember Times, got to answer a question from you. We hope that you have been doing well and finding our newsletters helpful amidst difficult times.

Before I help answer today’s question, I wanted to let you know that @jessica recently created a Discord bot to alert us when you send us a question! :sparkles:

Today’s question is:

How can I become a writer for The Ember Times in the future?

Step 1. Consider your goals

I wanted to answer this question because it has been a little over a year since I began to help out with The Ember Times.

Within that year, just from writing about Ember announcements and blog posts and videos, I feel like I got to meet many good-hearted people (virtually, that is, heh). People who are as interested in teaching others as I am.

By joining The Ember Times, I was also fortunate to stay on top of what’s happening in Ember.js and steer where I wanted to head in terms of my career and learning. I’m celebrating my 2nd year in web development and feel quite happy with projects and teams that I get to work with each day.

So that was a little bit of what you can get from helping out The Ember Times as a writer. Returning to your question: How can you become a writer, now or in the future? :raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_man:

Step 2. Say hello :wave:

I joined by stepping out of my comfort zone and saying hello to the Ember community. Just by chance, I met Kenneth and Anne-Greeth at pre-EmberConf board game event and Jessica later at a Killer Queen tournament. They introduced me to The Ember Times because I had the chance to explain that I wanted to learn much more about Ember.

Since meeting folks in person isn’t a possibility right now, I recommend that you connect with us on Discord. Feel free to let us know who you are so that we can understand better how we can help you meet some of your goals. You can chat with us on #support-ember-times channel, or send a direct message to any of the writers. :speech_balloon:

Step 3. Start contributing!

Each week, on the ember-blog repo, you can find a pull request (PR) whose title starts with [WIP] The Ember Times.

The PR lists news items that we may cover that week. If you see a particular news item that you want to write about, post a comment to the PR saying so and it’s yours!

You don’t need to be an expert in the subject of the news item. Feel free to ask for help with writing and understanding the news article.

Summary

To become a writer for The Ember Times, it takes a small push to step out of your comfort zone and feel like I can do this today. Rest assured, we will help you along your journey as a writer and Ember contributor.

I look forward to your hello on Discord! Until then, cheers.

P.S. For more inspiration, please watch Anne-Greeth’s lightning talk at EmberFest on how to start contributing.

3 Likes