Server won't start `SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier at exports.runInThisContext (vm.js:53:16)`

Hi everyone and thanks for reading. I’ve got new Ember CLI app with CLI version 1.3.8, ember.js and ember-data at 2.1.0.

I was trying to install firebase as well as ember-cli-sass. I noticed this error after I renamed app/styles/app.css to app/styles/app.acss. (Note: the Node 4.2.1 errors has always appeared).

$ ember serve
Future versions of Ember CLI will not support v4.2.1. Please update to Node 0.12 or io.js.
version: 1.13.8
Unexpected identifier
SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier
    at exports.runInThisContext (vm.js:53:16)
    at Module._compile (module.js:414:25)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:442:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:311:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:366:17)
    at require (module.js:385:17)
    at Project.require (/projects/time-tracker/node_modules/ember-cli/lib/models/project.js:247:12)
    at Project.config (/projects/time-tracker/node_modules/ember-cli/lib/models/project.js:179:26)
    at Class.<anonymous> (/projects/time-tracker/node_modules/ember-cli/lib/commands/serve.js:44:31)

The first thing I did was rename app.css to app.css I also tried uninstalling the new libraries (firebase and ember-cli-sass) would cause this issues, clearing the tmp directory and npm cache.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was able to solve this on my own. I had an invalid config/environment.js file. I was missed adding a , after adding config values for one of the packages I installed. Leaving this here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

1 Like