When will HTMLbars be ready?

try this out https://gist.github.com/krisselden/7758990

I am wondering once HTMLbar is done, we should be able to consider adding server side rendering, right?

It would be very efficient to render - say, a very very large list on the server side - and then wire up the events on the client side. And HTMLbar should have already divided the rendering process on the client side into these two steps.

1 Like

There is a pifall, if you’re designing an app and assuming mobile devices are targeted as well, sending large ‘pre-rendered’ contents via HTTP is a no win strategy, cause < latency (there might come a hook - sending responses based on a simple client connection analysis). But pre-rendering maybe a win for SEO Optimizing an JS APP without the need to use phantomjs for robots/crawlers.

I dont think so. This is not for mobile but for desktop. I have developed heavy js for mobile before and the perf is subpar (e.g., big list) and I would not attempt that at least in a year until device perf improves more.

My reasoning is that it could potentially enhance average speed across different browsers on slower machines for performance critical areas (again, big list).

I dont think so. This is not for mobile but for desktop. I have developed heavy js for mobile before and the perf is subpar (e.g., big list) and I would not attempt that at least in a year until device perf improves more.

Ember in its current state is already a more than capable js framework for mobile apps in my opinion, and with HTMLbars mobile performance will only get better (I think they were saying something like a 3x general perf increase out of the box?). To help with big lists (which even desktop browsers struggle with) you also have other options, like list-view.

How to use HTMLbars right now for “for fun” code?

Edit: There are some new entries to Readme on github with (anemic) instructions.

I’ve read lots of comments so far, that Ember with HTMLbars is just about to come, but its an year letter and we still don’t have beta version… Does anyone have some latest information about ?

Guys are working on it. You can view some progress at Trello. You can also view commits in htmlbars-* branches of ember.js

4 Likes

The lack of activity on Trello and in the htmlbars-* branches on github is really quite disconcerting. Is the issue that the people involved just don’t have time to work on it? Is there some burnout going on? Is there something the ember community could do to help out?

There has been a tremendous amount of activity the past couple weeks. We’ve enlisted @mixonic, @mmun and others to rally us across the finish line. At our F2F last weekend, we listed the remaining tasks to be done and have divided the work accordingly. Additionally, we’ve started a weekly status call to make sure that the work moves forward and that no one is blocked. Hopefully, we’ll be shipping this very soon.

10 Likes

@tomdale sounds great!! I’m sure I’m not the only person that’s ridiculously excited about this release :slight_smile: Go guys!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the update!

You’re welcome to try out the metal-views channel of Ember, which is a precursor to full HTMLBars support. The main thing you’ll notice is the lack of metamorphs :slight_smile:

You can grab a copy here: https://github.com/components/ember/tree/metal-views.

If you’re using ember-cli you can just apply @rwjblue’s diff: https://github.com/rwjblue/_____ember-cli-test/commit/abf2ad487c06bc4b536ebba7d625a4ab4ef46128

4 Likes

I noticed the metal-views branch but I wasn’t really sure what it was, is it just laying the ground work so that htmlbars is easier to integrate? That was my assumption but I’m now scratching my head about how metamorphs could be removed without using htmlbars…

@opsb It works by rendering the metamorph tags but immediately removing them before adding the view’s element to the DOM.

2 Likes

Just tried metal-view branch and it’s really awesome! The metamorph tags are gone even in Handlebars. Thanks to all your guys!

One question for curious: is the branch’s goal to remove metamorph tags and increase performance and work with both Handlebars and HTMLBars?

I have a product that will be going out in two months I want to use htmlbars do you think its ok to make a production product with it right now?

@racamp101 I have the same situation. But I don’t have any info about when it will be production-ready, even for just starting developing new product. I’m really interested in doing this with ember + htmlbars :slight_smile:

@darkbaby123 metal-views has several goals, which in combination prepare Ember for HTMLBars. Among them are to remove recursion from the rendering pipeline and use the morph library instead of metamorph. It is very likely that this branch will make it into the 1.8 beta that branches this weekend.

@racamp101 @johnny_bushy There are a few things that will have better support in HTMLBars than they do in Handlebars, for example SVG components, but for the most part this is a change that maintains complete feature parity. You can write your apps in Ember today and the upgrade will be transparent, except for the suddenly faster rendering time. Don’t wait!

10 Likes

Actually, I can’t find any development-ready package with ember + htmlbars :frowning: So, I don’t know where to start from. And, as I understand, there isn’t any docs about htmlbars syntax, am I right?