Cannot get ember to work on Windows

I cannot for the life of me get ember to work properly under my Windows environment.

Under Linux everything just runs out of the box like it’s supposed to (of course).

On Windows npm runs just fine:

npm --version

Installing ember-cli seems to work alright:

npm install -g ember-cli
├── process-relative-require@1.0.0
├── broccoli-unwatched-tree@0.1.1
├── clean-base-url@1.0.0
├── broccoli-caching-writer@1.1.0 (broccoli-read-compat@0.1.3, core-object@1.1.0, lodash-node@3.10.1)
├── markdown-it-terminal@0.0.2 (ansi-styles@2.1.0, cli-table@0.3.1, cardinal@0.5.0, lodash-node@3.10.1)
└── broccoli-sourcemap-concat@1.1.5 (mkdirp@0.5.1, lodash.uniq@3.2.2, fast-sourcemap-concat@0.2.6, lodash-node@2.4.1, broccoli-caching-writer@2.0.1)

However, when I enter ember at the command line and hit enter, I get the error that the command is not recognized.

Curious if anyone out there has a similar problem with Windows and if there is an easy solution to this aggravating situation.

(By the way, developing under Windows this way is slower than molasses)

You may need to close and re-open the cmd prompt. Wich user installed npm and ember? Maybe your user doesn’t see the executable.

On Windows you must start ember server with administrator rights to get passable build times.
see:
The Ember CLI - Introduction - Ember CLI Guides
Improved Ember Cli Performance with Windows

Tried opening and closing the command prompt window but to no avail. There is just one user on my machine and that’s me.

Do you have “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\bin” in your PATH Variable?

You may also need “C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\npm” in your PATH.

Both node and npm can be found in the “C:\Program Files\nodejs” directory which is part of my PATH.

I work on Windows. Sometimes you need to do:

npm cache clean
bower cache clean
npm install
bower install

I have never seen path issues. I have C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\npm in my path.

I ended up removing nodejs and reinstalling it, and everything seems to work fine again.

2 Likes