Ember Application + Rails (Full Rails or Rail-API?)

Hey guys & gals, I had a few questions as I start to piece together the scope of an app I’m going to be making. I’d like to get some feedback on what I’m thinking for “best practices”.

The app is going to have 3 types of users: agency, agent, client. What I have read is that it would probably be a good idea to have 3 separate ember apps, one powering each of the user types, so you’d go to agency.appname.com, agent.appname.com, etc. Reason being is that if one of them is compromised, the other 2 theoretically would still be up and running. All three would have a common database that would be strictly an API rails app to handle the data storage. The other option would be to have the rails app provide the different 3 “apps” from within. I haven’t done too much reading on that but I’ve seen the possibility in a few tut’s. What do you guys think? I’m leaning towards the rails api app + 3 individual ember apps.

Lastly, I started reading about the rails-api gem. If we go for option one, would it make more sense to use that vs. full rails app? My concerns would be the development of it and if it would stay up to par w/ official rails releases.

I’m honestly open to other backends for api’s, that is unless it would be better to do a “full ember/rails integration”.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

1 Like