Ember.js with DDP / Meteor backend

After past experience with Laravel and Backbone, I’ve recently gotten into contact with Ember.js and Meteor (for different projects). I really like Ember.js for its structured, route-based approach and for its open and forward-thinking community. On the other hand, I really like Meteor for its simplicity; how fast you can get something working.

There is one thing that I really love about Meteor, which is the DDP Protocol. The reason I ended up using Meteor for a project was because I wanted the best WebSocket solution, and DDP’s simple combination of RPC for client->server and PubSub for server->client is absolutely brilliant. Now that I’m using Meteor as a backend to a Native iOS app, I’m finding it so much simpler than writing a backend in Laravel. I’m looking for more ways to do something similar.

I’d really love to be able to use Ember.js with a Meteor backend! What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Did you find a solution? It’s 5 years later, and I’m looking to migrate my projects from meteor to ember. If I could use DDP data and method calls, I would migrate my clients front ends practically overnight.

I never heard of any option, and now that I’m looking for it again, it doesn’t seem like anything has popped up.

I ended up using Blaze, but I wouldn’t recommend it for large projects. The Meteor guide does provide information on how to use Vue, React or Angular though.

It might be possible to copy ideas from the EmberFire adapter to write an adapter for DDP. I’m not sure how challenging it would be to get code sharing between the backend and the frontend working, if that’s what you’d like.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks! I have been looking at DDP, and the nature of the protocol is straight forward, so I may consider writing an adapter.

keep calm and migrate on :smiley: