Review copies available for “Mastering Ember.js”

We are pleased to let you all know about a new book by Packt, Mastering Ember.js’ Mastering Ember.js | Packt written by Mitchel Kelonye.

Developing single-page web applications is about to get easier! This book introduces you to web application development using the Ember.js web framework. “Mastering Ember.js” will help you to utilize its full potential and will show you how to create web applications.

We have limited review eBooks and would be happy to give to people willing to review the book on at least two sites from: Their Blog, Amazon, Goodreads, Google Books, Orielly and Barnes & Nobles.

All you need to do is comment below with the choice of websites where you’d like to post your review and your email address. You can also email me at saddams@packtpub.com

Read more about the book here: Mastering Ember.js | Packt

2 Likes

Please sign me up, I will review it on my blog and amazon. kiffin /dot/ gish /at/ planet /dot/ nl

There’s a typo in the sample page on the website you linked to:

It was forked from SproutCore by Yehuda Katz and Tom Dale. SproutCore is an MVC framework that strives to provide a robust JavaScript widget toolkit similar to Apple’s Cocoa API for Max OS X

Should be Mac OS X

I’d be glad to review a copy on my blog and Amazon. I’m kevin dot marsh at gmail dot com.

I would like to review the book. Amazon and on my blog. My email: mail <AT> jessehouse <DOT> com

I would like to review the book on Amazon and Google Books. my email is

kithokit@gmail.com

Thanks a lot

Why would anyone write an ember book and begin by talking about

App.__container__

and

App.__container__.lookup

?

How can the book not talk about Ember CLI when it is the default development process for Ember 2.0? This book will be DOA.

2 Likes

“Laravel - From Apprentice to Artisan” begins by talking about the IoC container.

As a beginner I had a few issues that would have had obvious solutions had I known about the container and how to use it.

I don’t think he’s objecting to teaching about the container, but rather using the __container__ property to access it. That property is private and intended for debugging only. Referencing it directly in your application is just bad practice.

My point is that container is private for a reason. If a book advocates using that (and in fact from the very beginning), I wouldn’t have high hopes for it.

It is pretty awesome to have yet another author take on the task of writing about ember. It seems like some comments above have a negative tone, I hope they seen as constructive criticism.

To help current and future authors, I would like to suggest something. As technical topics and especially ember are a pretty quick moving target which makes them hard write about. The best bet to ensure proper alignment with current and future idioms, goals and best practice one should seriously consider consulting a member or two of the ember core team. We are all extremely busy, but we would love to see literature being produce be as helpful and successful as possible.

Anyways:

Let me quickly clarify some points on the container.

The container itself is to be considered an implementation detail. The public API for the IoC & DI system as follows:

application.register
application.inject
Controller's needs

Soon we will add.

Ember.inject
Ember.inject.service('some-service')

Something we should add:

application.options

Everything beyond this should be considered private and available as an implementation detail or debugging aid.

Note: The Debugging aid story of App.__container__ I believe is an important one, but the messaging must be clear that it may be a debugging aid only. That being said, recently the ember-extension added a wonderful container inspector pane which likely alleviates the need to consider touching __container__ for an ever increasing number of user-cases.

In some cases, our public API may still be in-sufficient and as such a user may want to experiment with an idea. At this point in time, the user can reach into private api’s to accomplish the task they need. Doing so must be done with the knowledge that this API’s are not covered by semver, and may change at any time.

As ember continues to evolve we will continue to improve, solidify and expand the public API covered by our semver guarantee.

5 Likes

Thanks @stefan - Author

1 Like

The last chapter disusses using Components · GitHub as an alternative but mentions Ember CLI (TBC in future revisions) Thanks.

I’ve seen this as well in other books and articles, so what?

I will review it on my blog and goodreads.

Www.emadibrahim.com

eibrahim@gmail.com

Thanks.

I’ll review it on my blog (http://blogs.visofitnc.com) and Amazon.com. damien dot white at visoftinc dot com.

Hi there , I will review it at my blog and amazon . My email id : charanyogeshwar@gmail.com.

I would like to review it on my blog . My email address is tommaso.visconti@kreations.it

I would love to give a review at Amazon and Goodreads, my blog is under construction. My email is jld4us@gmail.com

You might want to contact emberwatch.com and add it to their book list.