I have a relatively moderately sized ember and rails app using rail’s asset pipeline for my asset compilation. I am also one of those obnoxious people who loves CoffeeScript, and so all my JS is CoffeeScript. Yesterday, I thought I would try out ember-cli so I used “git filter-branch” to extract my ember app out of my rails application into a new ember-cli app. I put the breaks on after realizing that the switch to ember-cli was going to take me more than a few hours I put into the ember-cli.
My observed pros of moving to ember-cli:
- Likely faster asset compilation (even though rails asset pipeline does not seem slow on my machine)
- Likely better add-on support. I’ve noticed some add-ons don’t always work with with “old-school apps.”
- Better testing.
- I have been testing my ember app in rails with teaspoon, which is less than a fantastic experience.
- Separation of code bases.
- There is not a good reason that my ember code is in the same repository as my rails code.
- Departure from seemingly inevitable monoculture of ember-cli.
- There is a big push to promote ember-cli, and I understand the reasons.
- I am worried about my app missing out on the future ecosystem of ember if I don’t conform to ember-cli.
- I’ve already encountered some difficulty with certain add-ons that are developed for ember-cli which do not work without ember-cli.
Observed cons of moving to ember-cli:
- Tedious migration.
- CoffeeScript is not a first-class citizen in ember-cli when everything has to be escaped with backticks.
- Stating all of the dependencies and exports, for each file, is also tedious.
- Debugging is more difficult
- ember-cli asset compilation does not give as detailed of errors as rails’s asset pipeline.
- I’m guessing that it will at least take me a day to convert my codebase to ember-cli.
I am trying to evaluate the benefit of moving to ember-cli, and I’m very much open to the idea. I am just looking for perspective as to why a switch would or would not be beneficial. If anyone has some experiences or perspectives for or against converting from rails asset pipeline to ember-cli, I’d love to hear them.