Bye bye ember-cli, welcome generator-emberfs

I recently published a yeoman generator for ember. That is supposed to be a complementary to ember-cli. It uses, gulp, as a build tool. requirejs for module loading, and yeoman for scaffolding. It also supports full stack development with express and nodejs apps. Make sure to check it out, and feel free to comment, and question. https://github.com/eguneys/generator-emberfs

1 Like

Seems neat, and it is definitely awesome to have choices in this area (I love competition :smile:).

Not sure what you mean by complimentary though. This seems to be an alternative to ember-cli not adding on or working with it.

I donā€™t know why i said that. :slight_smile: I meant something humble.

using gulp over the obscure broccoli is definitely an advantage

1 Like

broccoli is great, ember-cli makes it obscure.

2 Likes

One of the goals of ember-cli is to abstract the way things are built and should not be important to users.

The point is that you can build and serve an app easily. If at some point we change to a different build system, major changes should not be required by our users (assuming we support the same functionality with the new system).

1 Like

Thatā€™s good to know, but I guess I feel that goal isnā€™t being met.

I know that ember-cli is still very new, but from my standpoint of ā€œnot coming at this from a rich tradition of Railsā€, itā€™s really hard to tell the difference between an attempt at abstraction and an assumption that I already know something (that I likely donā€™t).

Case in point: while experimenting with a simple ember-cli project, the build was failing with the following message: undefined. Certainly a results of cockpit error, but still, thatā€™s much to go on.

Yup, that is bad, what issue did you report this in? If not could you report it so we can get it fixed?

I did not report it because I doubt it is a bug.

My sense is I am using it way wrong and I donā€™t want to clutter the issues with pilot errors.

I am having following issue. Can you look into this?

while running yo emberfs Error: Cannot find module ā€˜ā€¦/ā€¦/util.jsā€™ at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:338:15) at Function.Module._load (module.js:280:25) at Module.require (module.js:364:17) at require (module.js:380:17) at Object. (/home/adnan/.nvm/v0.10.29/lib/node_modules/generator-emberfs/generators/app/index.js:5:16) at Module._compile (module.js:456:26) at Object.Module._extensionsā€¦js (module.js:474:10) at Module.load (module.js:356:32) at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12) at Module.require (module.js:364:17)

I have used following versions of npm

yo ember 

is running file index.js and line no 5 it requires a file

var genUtils = require('../../util.js');

but we are not finding any such file under ~/.nvm/[nvm_version]/lib/node_modules/generator-emberfs/