Good resources for beginners?

To jump on the self-plug-wagon, I write a weekly blog post covering specific use-case scenarios in Ember. Each post is coupled with a fully functional jsFiddle and it is formatted around minimal words and maximal code snippets. http://stevekane.github.com

It’s certainly okay to self-promote. I downloaded your first ebook and plan to buy the rest once I finish. Good stuff!

@toranb I’ll check it out tomorrow. It looks like it was well received. Hitting your bandwidth caps is a good sign. :wink:

Rob Conery just wrote a good introductory article about Ember.js. http://wekeroad.com/2013/03/20/ember-baby-steps

1 Like

I’ve started doing a series of “zero to hero” kinda videos (kinda like screencasts, but all the crappy boring bits cut out) … on how to make web sites. Part of that is using Ember. I’ve done the first four… if there’s interest enough (follow the link and like it to show your interest) then I’ll definitely post the first introductory one so you can see the style and hopefully it’s something you’d like to see more of :slight_smile:

This would help absolute beginners in Ember because it starts before Ember - it begins with building simple sites and only introduces templating and Javascript when the rest are established. It’s presented as a series of tiny, easily consumable chunks that almost don’t feel like learning (kind of like wathing TV).

There are some interesting ideas about education in general that I use, you’ll find… (it’s gotta be memorable, fun, entertaining and use anything it can to stick in your mind, for example. Also, there should be two phases: first “listening/absorbing” and only then “talking/creating” if you get my drift), and some specific ideas about technology learning in general.

It strikes me that as programmers and consumers of technology in general, we should spend more time seeing more examples of things (learn to walk before we run) because that’s the proper way to do things. We need consume a lot of good quality stories before we can start to write our own good quality stories, and in a similar fashion one needs to be exposed to lots of examples of something before one can get a really good feel for building one’s own examples (ie a set of many great examples to allow the learner to construct an accurate model fo the way things are that corresponds quite closely to reality).

I’m a big advocate of example driven learning, which is very similar to test driven development in a way.

I’d absolutely love to have enough interest to do more of these and to release them to the public if people are keen… :slight_smile: <3

1 Like