I can't compile Ember.handlebar templates

I am exploring EmberJS for the first time. I installed Ember according to the Getting Started guide at emberjs.com. The version I am using is 1.13.1

I’m using Mozilla Firefox 39.0 and When I enter the following code into the Web Console:

var view = Ember.View.create(); var template Ember.Handlebars.compile(“testing”);

I got the following error:

Error: Cannot call compile without the template compiler loaded. Please load ember-template-compiler.js prior to calling compile.

Any ideas?

The ember-template-compiler.js is only required for template compilation. The runtime dependencies for HTMLBars are built into the framework file.

To include the htmlbars runtime in your ember-cli app:

// Brocfile.js
var EmberApp = require('ember-cli/lib/broccoli/ember-app');
var app = new EmberApp();
app.import(app.bowerDirectory + '/ember/ember-template-compiler.js');
module.exports = app.toTree();

When I run the following line:

var EmberApp = require(‘ember-cli/lib/broccoli/ember-app’);

I get the following error:

Error: Could not find module ember-cli/lib/broccoli/ember-app

I checked the file path and ember-app.js exists there.

Tried using the absolute path:

C:\Users\MyUserName\my-app\node_modules\ember-cli\lib\broccoli\ember-app

and still got the error.

I then add the node_modules to the front of the path and I still got the error

I must admit my javascript is a bit rusty so any help would be appreciated.

I also tried uninstalling/re-installing and I discovered something that indicates I may have been barking up the wrong tree:

Installing packages for tooling via npm…gyp ERR! configure error gyp ERR! stack Error: Can’t find Python executable “python”, you can set the PYT HON env variable. gyp ERR! stack at failNoPython (C:\Users\asolonin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_m odules\ember-cli\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:114:14)

gyp ERR! stack at C:\Users\asolonin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\ember-c li\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:69:11 gyp ERR! stack at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (evalmachine.:95:15) gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 6.1.7601 gyp ERR! command “node” “C:\Users\asolonin\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_module s\ember-cli\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” “rebu ild”

I’m getting a bunch of errors related to not finding Python. I’m going to check my path and the PYTHON env variable as suggested in the output.

What did your Brocfile look like before making this change?

Error: Could not find module ember-cli/lib/broccoli/ember-app

The error looks like you did not have the ember-cli module installed locally in your project. Please check if you have node_modules/ember-cli inside your project directory. If not, you need to run npm install to fetch all the dependencies.

I then add the node_modules to the front of the path and I still got the error

That makes NodeJS lookup the path node_modules/node_modules/ember-cli/lib/broccoli/ember-app which, of course, is incorrect.

Downloading Python and putting in the path fixed the “Python” errors

Now I’m getting the following build error:

MSBUILD : error MSB3428: Could not load the Visual C++ component “VCBuild.exe”. To fix this, 1) install the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK, 2) install Microsoft Visua l Studio 2005 or 3) add the location of the component to the system path if it is installed elsewhere. [C:\Users\asolonin\my-app\node_modules\ember-cli\node_ modules\testem\node_modules\socket.io\node_modules\socket.io-client\node_module s\engine.io-client\node_modules\ws\node_modules\bufferutil\build\binding.sln] gyp ERR! build error

What is the Brocfile? Is this Brocfile.js?

When I search the my-app folder and its subfolders for “Brocfile” I get a bunch of folders named brocfile-test

My mistake I actually found 3 Brocfile.js in the following folders:

C:\Users\asolonin\my-app\node_modules\ember-cli\tests\fixtures\brocfile-tests\no-ember-cli-build

C:\Users\asolonin\my-app\node_modules\ember-cli-babel

C:\Users\asolonin\my-app\node_modules\ember-cli-content-security-policy

Which one should I be interested in?

Sorry, the entry file is now ember-cli-build.js not Brocfile.js, that changed recently. And it’s in the root of your app’s folder.

/* global require, module */
var EmberApp = require('ember-cli/lib/broccoli/ember-app');

module.exports = function(defaults) {
  var app = new EmberApp(defaults, {});
  app.import(app.bowerDirectory + '/ember/ember-template-compiler.js');
  return app.toTree();
};

BINGO! That worked. The compile issue is solved.

Thanks Jason

FYI - Brocfile.js has been replaced with ember-cli-build.js in the latest version of ember-cli. They’re practically the same but ember-cli-build.js exports a module.