What is the best resource to go to the 'next level'?

I feel like I’m in a weird position as an aspiring Ember developer at the moment. I’ve done my first app (it turned out to be way bigger than expected obviously!) and I have a good understanding of the Ember fundamentals. I know what routes are, what controllers do, how to work with my models etc.

I’m struggling to find resources on how I can take the next step from being able to make an application in Ember and to begin getting really good at making apps in Ember. I have this issue learning Javascript in general - it’s really easy to find ‘this is a variable, this is a method, this is what a for loop is’ but I’m in a halfway house between that stuff and wanting to learn things that have a bit more complexity and build on those foundations.

There is also quite a significant problem with Ember resources outside of the main docs being really variable in the version of Ember they are using. Google searches regularly kick up a lot of things that aren’t really applicable or use very out of date syntax.

What are the best resources for starting to branch out and look at some of the cooler stuff Ember can do, or even optimizing your Ember code?

2 Likes

@Abuelo great question. I’ll answer briefly with a few ideas that I’ve found help understand ember applications and practice modern JavaScript.

Check out http://builtwithember.io/ for some larger applications and explore them. Hospital Run is an open source, larger ember application that has development need.

There is also quite a significant problem with Ember resources outside of the main docs being really variable in the version of Ember they are using.

I thinking taking on issues in Help Wanted - Ember.js gives you a double benefit of helping solve the above problem, and learning more advanced ways to build ember applications. There is always enough work to go around so hop right in! The discord learning channel is helpful for clarifying things and discussing tasks more promptly.

I’m struggling to find resources on how I can take the next step from being able to make an application in Ember and to begin getting really good at making apps in Ember.

Contributing to, or making your own ember addon introduces you to more advanced topics through integrating with 3rd party libraries, supporting different versions of ember, or exploring the bleeding edge of JavaScript. Go forth!

3 Likes

I’ll second making your own ember addon, as well as getting involved in the help wanted area or in helping out with a community addon. Also as weird as it sounds I’ve learned a lot through upgrading ember apps and addons.

There’s a great video series over at EmberMap. Sam and Ryan and really good about pointing out best practices and practical topics. Some of the videos are free, the full content requires a subscription.

Balint Erdi wrote a book called Rock’n’Roll with Ember and while you might be past the level where it would be most helpful it could still be valuable to look at as it covers a very broad base of topics and covers best practices as well.

Poking around some of the very popular ember addons is always a great way to learn as well. Especially if you want to know how something works or how an experienced individual (or group) designs and manages their code.

Dockyard has a great collection of blog articles devoted to Ember (just be careful of the dates some of them are antiquated), and even reading over their styleguide can be helpful.

EmberConf is always a great learning resource. I’d highly recommend going if you can, and while the costs add up if you can swing it the extra trainings are usually well worth the money. Even if you can’t go though the talks are all streamed and you can find talks/slides/etc from the last few years:

Keeping an eye (or even answering questions ) in this board can teach you a lot of things, and definitely plug into the discord community if you haven’t already. Also reading rfcs can be overwhelming but can teach you about the framework as it develops.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for the inputs and the links guys. It’s very much appreciated.

It’s a daunting thing as someone who is new to things after a career switch. There are so many excellent resources for learning the fundamentals of something (whether it be Ember, Angular, Vue etc) but when you have decent grasp of those fundamentals you kind of run out of teaching experiences and only have things like API docs.

I never want to see the words ‘To-do App’ ever again!

3 Likes

:joy: i feel you there

3 Likes

I’ve also found that referencing other open source apps can be quite useful for seeing different approaches to some interesting problems: GitHub - EmberSherpa/open-source-ember-apps: A list of open source Ember apps

2 Likes

Ah, I was just thinking of where to find something like this the other day. Thanks @acorncom!