When will HTMLbars be ready?

“it’s coming, it’s coming, it’s coming”

I want to remake this video for announcing htmlbars. Does anyone feel like drawing a bunch of cartoons?

2 Likes

@machty Thanks for the update!

I am super excited! Hope it can boost performance for large list!

1 Like

@machty I’m curious if htmlbars will use HTML Standard or not? Looks like it can provide tactical advantages over self-rolled templating system

1 Like

Any update on this? Wonder if this can be tested soon.

As mentioned over at: Can Reactjs be used as a View within Emberjs? - #14 by ebryn

@krisselden and I are cranking away at it in our free time. I’ll be giving a talk at the SF Ember.js meetup on 1/21 about it. We’d love to have something to show for EmberConf :slight_smile:

@ebryn thanks for your work with HTMLBars :slight_smile: still confident you can show something at EmberConf? Can you roughly point out a release date?

1 Like

Yeah, I am interested as well.

Any update on potential release date? Beta that we could test?

6 Likes

Is there any news from EmberConf :smile:

2 Likes

Yep any update? Really curious myself as well.

@DevinMcQueeney goal is to get an alpha build out within the next couple weeks

— Erik Bryn™ (@ebryn) March 27, 2014

I was at EmberConf. They were ultimately embarrassed that they hyped up a launch of some sort at the conference but they’re very close to having a release.

Remember this is essentially a rewrite of the view layer, so they want to make sure it’s in tip-top shape when they do release it. The good news is that it’s going to solve a lot of performance problems (they stated 2-3x speed increase), provide us with a much nicer templating syntax, and will set the foundation for a bunch of useful features in the future (server-side rendering is one example).

My main takeaway from their talk was: “We want this to be the new gold standard of templating.”

3 Likes

Thanks @matthooks, are you suggesting it is getting close to having a release? How close? Thanks! :smile:

I’m not working on the code, but Erik Bryn and Kris Selden seemed to think they were about a few weeks out from the first release, as noted in the tweet that @hooper quoted.

Is the bulk of the work being done in a private repo? The last commit on the official repo was 10 days ago:

https://github.com/tildeio/htmlbars/commit/ddf993f1ca117e182285c0f280972b65c5051282

I’m sure it is. Though, I think they already have some placeholder repos ready to go in the Ember GitHub account…

The ember integration code is being pushed to this branch: https://github.com/ebryn/ember.js/tree/metal-views

Looking at the commits it seems that the whole view layer is being re-factored.

1 Like

About the branch I mentioned earlier: it doesn’t seem to be the case anymore. Anyone have any news about it? Or any other place to see whats going on? It seems a bit of a secret at this point.