[ANN] Ember.js Training Workshop this August

Hi!

My name is Erich Ocean and I’m new to the Ember.js community. I need your help and advice on some Ember.js training I’m putting together this month.

Since 2008, I’ve taught a proven, framework-independent, end-to-end iterative methodology for development teams to think about, design, code, test, and maintain cutting-edge apps that people love to use. Apple, Eloqua, Cultured Code, and others have all successfully adopted my development methodology and developers tell me they now can’t imagine working any other way.

My day long class is $1500/person, and I’ve taught it both onsite and remotely. The methodology I teach gives people a comprehensive mental model to think about app development and specifically helps with the 90% of code that makes their apps unique. My class is currently targeted at development teams, not individual developers, and that’s what I want to change.

This month, I’m developing custom Ember.js training materials targeted at individuals, not teams. My goal is to be able to do a regular, online class for people developing apps with Ember.js using my methodology, approximately once every 6-10 weeks. I really want my training to fit as seamlessly as possible with the philosophy and idioms Ember.js is built around, which is where you come in.

What I need are 6-10 experienced Ember.js developers to work closely with me to adapt the presentation of my methodology to the coding and development idioms that are most appropriate for Ember.js development. We’ll do that over a remote GoTo Training session sometime in August (I’ll coordinate a time that works for everyone who signs up to help).

I’ll begin the workshop by teaching my development methodology for the first couple of hours, and then we’ll spend the next couple of hours working out how to best integrate and teach that to other Ember.js developers. This will be a hands-on, frank discussion of how best to introduce my methodology to Ember.js developers, especially developers that aren’t as experienced and need the extra guidance. In particular, I want to make sure I’m teaching as idiomatic as possible Ember.js usage.

My hope is that after this workshop, a core of experienced Ember.js developers will know both me personally, and understand at a deep level what I’m teaching to individual Ember.js developers in my class and why. That should help keep everyone on the same page and give us all a common terminology to use in chatrooms, blog posts, and the Ember.js forum.

If this sounds like something you can help me out with, there’s a signup form at http://theoceanmethod.com/ember-workshop. The workshop costs $150—90% less than I typically charge to train people. I’m essentially paying you for the time you’ll be spending to help me develop awesome Ember.js training material for others. And you’ll also learn a great development methodology you can apply to your own apps.

I can tell you upfront that what I teach will not detract from what makes Ember.js great. I’m dealing with larger development issues, specifically, the 90% of code that is custom to each app—regardless of what framework is used.

My goal is to keep people using Ember.js in the most productive way possible, while adding a dramatically better understanding of app development and the fundamental development habits needed to build great apps using Ember.js, or any other framework. Think of what I teach as additive, not an alternative, to what Ember.js developers are already doing.

If you have any questions or concerns about my training or this workshop, please email me at theoceanmethod@gmail.com and we’ll arrange a Google Hangout or Skype session to talk about it. I’m also frequently available on the Ember.js IRC channel as “TheOceanMethod”.

Thanks!

Erich Ocean
+1 323 482-3204
theoceanmethod@gmail.com
http://theoceanmethod.com

Hi Erich,

If you are interested in some idiomatic ember training, I would highly recommend looking into tilde.io’s offerings. http://www.tilde.io/training/.

• Stef

I’ve gotten a lot of feedback on my original workshop post (I’m finishing up training materials for a number of different MVC frameworks this month), and I want to clarify a number of misconceptions about the workshop:

1. I do not expect anyone to develop Ember.js training materials for me at the workshop. I will be teaching Ember.js training materials that I, alone, have developed.

2. I am not expecting anyone to pay to help me develop Ember.js training materials. That would be…silly.

3. I am not implying that the Ember.js workshop is identical in value to the $1500/person class I normally teach. It’s not.

4. My normal online class for individuals will also be $1500/person, not some lower amount. (And for the record, the full-day class is way more than just a class, I do extensive followup mentoring to ensure that developers are able to successfully apply what they’ve learned. Considering how much I charge for my time consulting, I think the class is an incredible value, but I accept that reasonable people may disagree.)

5. All of my classes have a 100% money back guarantee that to this day remains unused. But it’s there if you’re concerned about being scammed or whatever. This is a reputation-based community, and it’d be pointless to screw people over. Not to mention bad karma. :wink:

6. Ember.js isn’t the only MVC framework I’m developing materials and an individual class for. My intent is to do the top dozen or so frameworks, and I’ve contacted those projects concurrently as well. If you want a framework that’s not on my list, email me and I’ll see what I can do.

With that out of the way, here’s the gist of what I tried to communicate in my original email:

1. I will be teaching my entire state-based approach to app development in the workshop, without any limitations beyond not teaching my system for teams. This is the identical state-based material that I teach in my $1500/person class, just minus the team stuff.

2. I will be teaching Ember.js training materials and code that I, alone, have developed, but they are “beta” quality. There may be places where I’m not following idiomatic Ember.js usage, APIs, or other community standards.

3. I will not be teaching my full $1500/person class, which includes follow up mentoring, is a full-day-not-a-half-day course, and contains material that is specific to using my approach with teams. If you have any questions about this, please email me before signing up for the workshop.

4. The workshop will not be a class where I teach, you learn, and that’s the end of it. It’ll be a hands-on workshop, and I expect attendees to help me work out any kinks in my Ember.js training materials and code, which as I explained above, are currently beta quality.

My normal online class for individuals will be $1500 per person (or $1050 if you sign up early). Because you’ll be getting “beta” Ember.js materials in the workshop and only a half-day of instruction, no followup mentoring, and no info on how to use my approach with teams, and futhermore, because you’ll be expected to give me useful feedback on my Ember.js materials at the workshop…for all of those reasons, I’m discounting the class heavily (by 90% ) to just $150. I think that’s a fair price.

Please accept my sincere apology if you were confused by my original post. I did run that post by a number of people before I posted it, and they weren’t confused. Clearly, though, It Was Confusing. I hope that I have cleared things up for everyone.

I’ve also updated the information on the workshop based on people’s feedback: http://theoceanmethod.com/ember-workshop

Again, feel free to email me at theoceanmethod@gmail.com, or ping me on IRC (TheOceanMethod) if you have any questions or concerns. I’m really looking forward to helping people in the Ember.js community.

Best, Erich Ocean

Registration for this workshop is now closed.

Best, Erich Ocean